I've tried three times now to train for and run a half marathon. It is a goal of mine to run one, and I've come really close this time, my race is only a few weeks away. In 2007, I started to train for one, but a few weeks into my training I found out I was pregnant. So no more training and no racing. In 2009, I started training for another one, however, this time I only made it a couple of weeks before finding out I was pregnant again. Obviously, I was more than happy to stop training both of those times, and would rather have my boys than run a half marathon. This past November I decided, once again, to start training for a half marathon. I teased Carl before I started, about my track record when it came to starting this training...he just teased back that maybe I shouldn't do this because he's not ready for #3.
Well, once again my training has come to an abrupt stop.
But, it's not due to pregnancy. A couple of weeks ago, after a long run, my foot started to hurt. It hurt for a couple of days, but I decided to push through and try to run...ouch, bad choice. So I took a week off, and tried again. I was able to run a couple of miles at a time without too much pain. So this past Sunday I met with a friend and tried to run 4 miles. I set a simple goal, a mileage I thought would be easy to reach. At about 3.75 miles I had to stop, it was killing me. I was so bummed. So today I went to the doctor to get it checked. Carl wanted me to stop running, but I told him I needed to hear that from a doctor, I wasn't going to give up on this half that easily. Well, I wasn't making up this injurty, after x-rays, the doctor determined I have peroneal tendinitis. :-( He suggested physical therapy to speed up the recovery time, but really, what mom has time for that!?! He said I can continue to run through the light pain, but as soon as it gets bad I need to stop....so that means right now I can run about 3 miles....a long way from the 13 I was hoping to run in a few weeks. He wants to see me again in 3 weeks to check the progress, and hopefully I will be able to say the pain is gone! We'll see! For now though, I will take it easy, add other types of cardio to my work out routine, and hope for quick healing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment