Tuesday, January 18, 2011

1st Day of School











Today was a BIG day for my big boy! I'll start from the beginning...

Last week Carl and I went to tour a preschool to decide where we wanted him to start in the fall. While touring we found out they had an opening now, and we were intrigued. We came home with lots to talk about...by the end of the day we knew this was the school we wanted him to attend, but when should we start him. After much prayer and thought we decided to start now. Eeekkk! You know this was a tough decision for me; of course I'll enjoy the time with just one son at home, and I know Isaac will benefit hugely from attending school, but it's a HUGE step in his life, and it's me giving up my boy to someone else for a few hours each week. Anyways...fast forward to today...the first day!
He slept in today, he didn't get up until 8:00, which was good because it meant he would be well rested, but also meant the morning was quick! He had his breakfast and we talked about the day. He seemed excited about school and was ready to go! After breakfast, getting dressed, and a short photo shoot we (Daddy, Mama, Luke, and Isaac) headed out. Isaac was quiet on the way there, but smiled whenever we looked at him. Once we got there he was ready to go in! He was the first one in the classroom, so it gave him a few minutes alone with the teacher. She showed him where to put his bag and lunch, then sat down with him to play a little. We talked some, shared a little information, and then came in the first student. I saw him clam up when she came in, he looked down and didn't look up again until the teacher told them to say good morning...he turned his head and said it! I was proud of him because I could tell he was nervous. We decided that we should leave, so I knelt down to say bye and he rushed over to hug me. He held on tight to my shirt, and I could see him fighting back the tears. He didn't cry, but was sad...it was hard to see him sad, but I had a good feeling about the day and him being there. After filling in some paperwork I peeked back in the room, he was sitting at a table playing.
Luke and I went back to pick up Isaac, and in my attempt to be on time and make sure not to get caught in any construction traffic we ended up getting there really early...about 30 minutes early. Haha! Obviously I was excited to see my big guy! After waiting in the car, then walking around outside, it was time to go in! I walked in to the room where all the kids were waiting, and there was my big guy, sitting so perfectly with his back pack on, looking so cute! He got up immediately when he saw me and said, "Mama's here!" But then he hesitated and sat back down...I was proud of him because he was following directions. A teacher told him he could get up and he ran to me. Big Hug! He was all smiles! His teacher came over and said that he had a great day! She said there were no tears all day, and that he had fun! She told me about a policeman coming to the school with his motorcycle and upon seeing that was the only time Isaac showed any sadness, she said his bottom lip came out. They held him during that time and she said he did fine! He played with the other kids and behaved well all day!
Even though he was scared of the motorcycle it definitely made an impact on him, it's the only thing he will tell us about. He doesn't seem to remember or care about anything else they did. That's my boy! =)
As we were walking out he said to me, "I had fun here today!"

1 comment:

A Mother's Prayer