Saturday, January 1, 2011

Old Friends together again

Lindsay, me, and Susan...friends that are like sisters to me.

The whole group!

The girls on New Year's Eve

The guys and their cigars.

Our champagne glasses with our wedding rings in them.


Luke celebrating the New Year with Susan.

A quick shot of me, my peanut and my man.



The past two days we got to spend some quality time with some of my best friends from high school. It was a great way to end 2010 and start 2011. Susan and Sergi live in Barcelona, so obviously we don't get to see them often. Carl and I visited them in Spain last fall while in Europe, but they haven't been here in a year and a half. On Thursday evening Susan's parents had us all over for dinner at their house. The group consisted of 4 couples; Susan, Jeremy, Lindsay, Eric, and I all ran track together in high school, so we spent many hours together many years ago. Now we get together when we can, but the whole group only gets together every couple of years when Susan comes in town. Thursday was a great night...the Duelm's made us a delicious dinnner and served it so nicely...it was a night of playing catch up on life. While together everyone's plans for New Year's came up in discussion, we were still up in the air with what to do because we really wanted to stay home with the boys. So before I knew it, plans were made, and our group would be together again the next night.

Unfortunately, Lindsay and Eric were not able to come over last night because they already had some plans with family...they were missed. Carl and I put the boys in bed before everyone showed up, so once they got here we were kid free and ready for some fun. Sergi and Susan cooked dinner for all of us; it was a delicious chicken and potato meal that took 2 hours to cook. In typical Spanish fashion we ate dinner at 10 pm, which turned out great because we had lots of time to talk before eating, then we enjoyed our yummy meal and had some great conversation. During dinner the fireworks really picked up outside, so afterwards we sat out by the fire and enjoyed the show. At midnight we learned some more Spanish traditions...at midnight you have to eat 12 grapes, one per second and then of course toast with a glass of champagne. Another tradition in the champagne though, we had to put our wedding ring in the glass and drink the champagne to get it out. Right at midnight our little Luke woke up, I think he wanted to be a part of the festivities. So he got to visit with everyone for a while before I fed him and put him back in bed. He had a great time babbling or talking to everyone and giving lots of sweet smiles. Isaac has developed a fear of fireworks, but thankfully he slept through all of it! After getting Luke back in bed we had dessert and then more great conversation until 3:30 am! I haven't been up that late, unless feeding a baby, in years. I'm so boring, I know. =) It was a special night, one I will not soon forget. I am so thankful the Lord has blessed my life with these sweet friends...miles and time make no difference, we can pick up like we saw each other yesterday.

Here's to another year past and a great 2011 ahead! I wish you all a blessed new year full of love, laughter, and joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Mother's Prayer