Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Our first fracture...

January 28 was a beautiful day here in Texas.  The sun was shining, it was pretty warm, for January, so after school we decided to ride our bikes to the park.  We played for a while and were having a great time, the kids were sliding, climbing, and of course Isaac was going across the monkey bars over and over.  He loves the monkey bars, he is our monkey.
 
Just as we were getting close to leaving Isaac was starting another try on the monkey bars.  He stood on the tall platform, grabbed the first bar, and reached out for the second, but accidentally let go of the first one too soon.  He fell to the ground landing flat on his stomach, face planted in the mulch, arm bent trying to catch himself.  He has never had such a hard fall, it knocked the wind out of him, which really scared him.  I was right there helping Hannah, so I quickly scooped him up, he just said "I can't, I can't, put me on the bench."  Poor guy had to catch his breath.  He was covered in mulch, and looked terrible.
 
 
He laid on the bench like this for a while, and once he caught his breath he complained mostly about his arm/wrist.  I let him lay for a while, and the others continued playing.  Luke and Hannah were worried about him, they came over multiple times to check on him and Luke kissed his head many times.  So sweet.

 
After some time I decided we had to get home, problem was we rode our bikes there, and Isaac was still hurting pretty badly.  I didn't have another choice, we had to bike home (Carl was out of town, so there was nobody that could come pick us up).  With some encouragement, I finally got Isaac on his bike, but he was not happy about it.  He didn't hold the handle bar with his right hand, he just held it limp.  It was really sad and pathetic, I hate seeing my kids in pain.
 
He continued to complain about his arm for a few days, but it didn't swell or bruise.  It's hard to know sometimes how much is real and how much is exaggerated.  But on Friday and again on Sunday, he screamed and immediately began crying when we held his arm near his wrist.  We decided that we needed to get it checked.

 
After a doctor check and some x-rays, it was determined he had a buckle fracture in his forearm, just above his wrist.  He has to wear the splint for 3 weeks.  It was a sad day, but also a little fun for him because he was kind of excited about his splint.  The sweetest moment of this experience was right after the dr put the splint on Isaac.  As soon as she finished Luke climbed up next to Isaac, he gently took Isaac's arm, and sweetly kissed it.  Then he sat next to him holding his arm.  My mama heart melted, I love those tender moments shared between my kids.

 
I'm so proud of his determination and hard work...he has taught himself how to write with his left hand!  Before this I would have told you that he could never write with his left hand, his right hand is very much his dominant hand.  He has proved us all wrong!  He is doing great compensating for his injured right hand; he writes, eats, and does everything with his left hand.
 
He was scheduled for a follow up on Monday, Feb. 23, but the city is covered in ice/snow!  So now he is scheduled to get it checked on Wednesday...he is so ready to get it checked and get his splint off!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Mother's Prayer