Friday, April 5, 2013

What a season...


 Isaac had a huge cheering section at his second to last game!

 On his way to score goal #5 of the game!

 Hannah taking Oma for a walk.  :-)

Happy soccer boy!

Isaac's first soccer season has come to an end, but what a fun season it was!  We are so thankful for the great friends he got to play with, and for the blessing of a wonderful coach!  Isaac had a blast, and completely surpassed all of our expectations.  I had heard so many stories about kids' first seasons of sports being painful and not any fun, so I was preparing myself for some struggles.  There was not any of that from our boy, he was always ready to play and anxious to get to the next practice or game.  Isaac is timid in every area of his life, well except driving, but this experience was so good for him!  He was the oldest on the team, but quite a few months, and I think this helped his confidence.  He quickly came out of his shell, and by the last game we convinced him that it was okay to be a little aggressive and to take the ball from other players.  On the way to the last game he told us he wanted to score a lot of goals, so we told him to go for it.  We talked it up, reminded him to run fast, get that ball away from others, and get it to the goal!  We really tried to pump him up.  He said that if he scored too much the coach would tell him to stop, so we told him to score until the coach told him not to.  Apparently our peptalk worked, the first whistle blew and Isaac was off, he immediately got the ball and ran straight for the goal scoring his first goal of the game.  I'm not even sure the other players knew the game had started.  Ha!  Well, that was just the start, he scored two more in the first two minutes!  Isaac was on fire!!!  The smile on his face was priceless!  He continued to play well, but did get tired towards the end.  He scored two more throughout the game, then as the last quarter was about to start he said he wanted one more, he wanted 6 goals.  I told him to go for it, and he did try, he missed two attempts, but ended the game with 5 goals.  We are so proud of him!!!  Isaac loved this season of soccer, he can't wait to play again!  I love seeing his joy for the game! 

 Coach Seth presenting him with his medal and trophy.

We ended the season with a team dinner, where each player was presented a medal and a trophy.  The trophy is really cool, it even has his name on it.  ;-)  Isaac was so excited about it!  Although apparently we need to work on his humility.  He said to me the other day, "Why is my trophy so small?"  I said, "Everyone got the same size trophy."  Isaac said, "Well, I scored so many goals."  "Oh, do you think you should have a bigger trophy since you scored so much?" I asked.  "Yes," was his answer.  Oh goodness, let's start working on being humble.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Mother's Prayer