Thursday, December 2, 2010

Runaway Horse

As you all know, I really enjoy running. I run a few times a week, through the neighborhood, with the boys in their double stroller. Seems safe, right? I always thought so. Our neighbor that lives behind us has two beautiful, huge, horses...they are very nice people who we talk to occassionally, and often see out riding their horses when we're out running or walking.

Yesterday was one of those days. We went out for a run, and there she was on her horse, riding down the street. We ran up behind them, then passed by (on the opposite side of the road), and said hi as we passed. I got a little ways ahead of them and then heard the horse start galloping...strange I thought, why is he galloping? I turned around and saw the rider slowing down the horse. A minute or less later I hear him start running again, but faster and loudly, I turned around to see this huge horse running towards us without the rider! Needless to say I was terrified! I was coming up on a turn to the right, I went right, into the ditch, but the horse was coming that way, so I quickly turned left and crossed the road. There were some people outside putting up lights, watching this happen, they were yelling at me to stop running, to just stop. Hello!?! I can't stop and let this giant horse run into me and my boys (that's what I was thinking), but I think I yelled, "I don't know what to do!" Thankfully, when I turned left the horse continued right and turned the corner...apparently heading home. We have no idea what happened, why he did that...maybe spooked by an inflatable Santa Clause, although the owner doesn't think that would scare him. Maybe just a little crazy...I don't know.

Even as I type this I can feel my heart beating a little faster. It was a very scary experience, but one that ended with nobody seriously injured. The rider was okay, she is definitely bruised and sore, but overall okay. One of the things I am so thankful for (besides being safe) was that Isaac didn't see any of it and has no idea that anything strange happened. I am incredibly thankful for this because I know he would have been traumatized by it, especially by seeing the rider fall. So for the last 24 hours I have been praising God for His protection, for keeping us safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Mother's Prayer