Sunday, February 23, 2014

Cole, Oct. 2, 2003- Oct. 7, 2013

Relaxing during a cold winter day...his favorite time of year.

Protecting his buddies while they play.
 
Our baby, only about 12 weeks old.
 
Our precious Cole passed away on October 7, 2013.  I have been trying to get myself to write this blog for months, but couldn't bring myself to do it, knowing that it would stir up all these sad feelings, but I'm trying to focus on the happy memories instead.  The day he passed away I posted this on my facebook,
"Today we lost our sweet Cole. He was the most loyal companion, guardian of our family, and had a heart of gold. He was known to many in our neighborhood as a singer, as he howled at everyone who came by...I will miss that precious sound. ... He has been with us since a week after we got married, so it feels like part of us is missing. We are all so heart broken, and walking Isaac through this has been the worst. There are no words to express how much we'll miss him." 
Every word of this still holds true, gosh I miss him.  He was with us for 10 years, he slept by our beside for a good majority of those days (until he tore his ACL in 2012 and couldn't safely walk the stairs any more).  Cole was our protector, he stood guard when a stranger came to the door, and many grown men were afraid of him...even though he never hurt a single person.  He always stayed with us while outside, especially near the kids.  Where ever the kids went in the yard, Cole went, too.  Even though there were times they drove him crazy, he loved them so much, and was sure to watch out for them.  This began the day we brought Isaac home from the hospital.  Any time Isaac cried Cole had to check on him, and during the middle of the night feedings I always had Cole by my side...this was the case for all three kids.  He was the most loyal and loving dog anyone could ask for.  Sometimes he'd howl and bark while the kids were napping, and I'd get so mad, sometimes he'd paw at my leg to get my attention and it hurt so bad, and anytime it thundered or there were fireworks Cole would pace and pant and break open the stair gate to climb those stairs he shouldn't climb.  Oh those things drove me nuts sometimes, but now I miss all of those so much!  I can't help but think of Cole during every storm and every firework, and out of habit I still look down to pet and love on him, but he's not here.  Cole was the smartest dog I've ever met, a friend once commented that Cole was smart enough to drive, that boy was loved by many.  He had an adorable head tilt as he listened to us talking to him and he tried to understand what we were saying, oh I loved that.  Cole's favorite things were going for a walk, riding in the truck with Carl, hunting squirrels, and being pet as much as possible.  Cole was my first baby, my first dog, and taught me so much about love and loyalty.  I'm thankful for every day we had with him, I am thankful that the boys will remember him, and even though his sudden passing was so hard, I'm thankful his last days were happy and he didn't suffer.
 
His passing was hard on us all, but Isaac struggled with it most of all.  This happened on October 10, 2013...
"This evening while I was getting the kids to bed I asked the kids to settle down, so we could pray. Isaac immediately asked me to pray for Cole, which he has requested all week. So I responded, "Of course." Then he looked at me so sadly and said, "No mama, please ask God to give Cole back." It took everything in me to keep it together...I wish I could make that happen for my sweet boy...he misses his buddy so much."
 


1 comment:

  1. That was so sweet:) He was an awesome dog and a true family member.

    ReplyDelete

A Mother's Prayer