Monday, January 6, 2014

First Semester Update

Tonight marks the night before the first day of Isaac's second semester of school.  So I feel like I need to write a little about the first semester.  It flew by, I mean really how is it already January?  He had a fantastic first semester!  He did really well, adjusted so quickly, and really seemed to enjoy it!  He bonded so quickly with his teacher, which made such a difference for both of us.  She is amazing...loving, kind, compassionate, but firm and has appropriate expectations for each student.  She is everything I had prayed for in Isaac's teacher.  She sees his heart and understands his needs; she makes me feel like he is safe and well loved while away from me.  I learned something about Isaac through his teacher.  She pointed out that he is a perfectionist, he doesn't want to do something that he knows he might not be able to do right.  I hadn't noticed that too much with him, but once she mentioned it and I thought about it, I could really see it.  I don't think that's necessarily a good or a bad thing, but I've been trying to teach him that it is okay to make mistakes. 

Isaac was a bit nervous at the beginning of the year, but that faded so quickly as he got into the routine.  He is a social boy, loves to be surrounded by others, and is so interested in learning new things.  He has really enjoyed his music class, he comes home singing new songs all the time.  He has really grasped reading and seems to be reading better each day.  He has always had an interest in numbers, and this is something his teacher quickly picked up on...she says he has great number sense.  He seems to like PE a lot, they've learned a variety of sports.  Art is definitely not his favorite, but he does enjoy when they get to paint.  He has had some struggles with kids bothering/picking on him a little.  I don't think they are being mean, just playing with him, but it bothers him and he is too kind/shy to say anything.  After me telling him how to handle it over and over, his teacher had a talk with him, and he seemed to grasp it.  The next time it happened and the child didn't stop after Isaac asking him to, he told the teacher, and the teacher moved the child.  I think once he saw that the teacher would help he felt much better and realized it was okay to ask for help.  He absolutely LOVES to ride the bus, he gets very upset with me when I take him to school in the mornings (which I've only done twice).  Isaac tells us a lot about the other kids, not just how they act, but about who they really are.  He seems to be very interested in people, why they are the way they are, and how they feel.  One day toward the end of the semester I sent him with a new pack of markers for himself, and one to give to his teacher to give to a student that needed them.  I e-mailed his teacher that afternoon to let her know that I sent them.  She said that Isaac had already given them to a classmate that did not have any markers.  This student was new to his class, didn't sit at his table, but he noticed that she didn't have them and so sweetly gave them to her.  My heart filled with joy when I heard this, as teaching him to love and care for others is so important to us. 

Isaac has grown so much this semester; he learned how to be independent and I think learned more about himself.  We are so proud of him, this was a huge step for him, and he has done so well!  I cannot wait to see what this second semester has in store for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Mother's Prayer