Saturday, February 9, 2013

Soccer

After Isaac's soccer camp this summer he has talked a lot about wanting to play soccer and go to camp again.  We decided that this was a good time to give that a try, so along with some other friends we signed up for soccer at the YMCA.  Isaac was thrilled to start playing soccer and to be on the same team as his friends.  Monday was the first practice, it went well, it was very basic soccer skills, nothing intense, just good ole fun.  The practice ended with quite a big lesson on how to do the "Good Game" line at the end of the game.  We left there knowing that if nothing else, the team would at least know how to do the "good game."  Ha!  On the way home from practice Isaac asked, "Why is soccer practice so long?  I don't like that it's so long."  I just laughed in my head and told him it wasn't that long.  He did say he enjoyed it and he was excited about the upcoming game.  All week he was talking about his game on Saturday, he told everyone about it.  Well, today was the big game!  As I mentioned the one and only practice they had was very basic, and did not even talk about how to play an actual game of soccer, so we were a bit nervous.  As you can guess, it started about painfully slow.  Our team, the Columbus Crew, was standing around, not really doing much.  I think the other team scored on us 4 times in a row.  During Isaac's first break we talked a lot about running after the ball, trying to get to the goal, and staying close to the ball.  Luckily, the second group that went in was a little better, so Isaac watched them and got a better idea of what to do.  Isaac and his friends went back in and wow, they improved dramatically!  They started to really get after it, Isaac was still very timid, but once he got the ball he did much better!  He even had one break down the field with the ball, his buddy was with him, once they got to the goal his teammate/friend kicked it in for a goal!  It was very exciting for us parents.  :-)  During the next break Isaac couldn't sit still, he wanted to get back out there!

I was proud of Isaac for sticking with it, and even though he was timid he stayed on the field and gave it his all!  I think this will be a great growing experience for him.

I'm excited for the fun and memories this season will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Mother's Prayer