Monday, April 16, 2012

Easter

The bunny at the church egg hunt.



Our Family Easter celebration

The boys enjoying their Easter goodies from the egg hunt.


Cousins!


Making our resurrection rolls.


Easter Sunday








Hannah got her first bottle!


Church Egg Hunt





This Easter I wanted to be sure Isaac understood why we celebrate Easter. I wanted him to know it's not about the Easter bunny, but about Jesus and that He died for us. I found some great activities to do together in the days leading up to Easter as well as on Easter morning. I also bought a couple of books to read together. The first activity was Resurrection Eggs...there were twelve eggs each with a symbol in it and a bible reading to go along with that symbol. The readings and the eggs told the story of Jesus going to die on the cross and then rising from the tomb. I was so excited about these, as we sat down that first day, 12 days before Easter, and began reading Isaac announced, "We have these eggs at school, this last one is empty because Jesus isn't in the tomb any more!" Oh my, I was shocked at his knowledge and a little bummed that my activity wasn't near as great any more, but also very thankful that he was learning about Easter at school. We continued to do the eggs everyday anyway, and he really enjoyed them. Luke joined us, too, but he didn't really understand what we were doing. On Easter morning I had planned to make resurrection rolls with the boys...it was a very neat recipe, basically you take a marshmallow, which represents Jesus because it's white and He was sinless. Then you dip it in melted butter to represent the oils and in cinammon sugar. Then you put it on a flat crescent and wrap it around the marshmallow, this represents to tomb. After cooking it you cut into a roll and it's empty, showing us that the tomb was empty on Easter morning. As we made them we read through the story in the Bible. We had a great time making them and reading, as we were finishing I asked Isaac what he thought would happen, he quickly said, "The marshmallow will be gone because Jesus isn't in the tomb any more." What!?! For a second I thought he was a genius and had figured it out, so I asked how he knew that...you guessed it, they did this at school. Really? Again, my great activity turned out to not be orignial enough. But again, I am SO thankful that he is in a great school that is pointing him to Jesus and teaching the Truth.

We had a wonderful Easter weekend. Saturday we had our families over to celebrate with a delicious potluck lunch, a fun Easter egg hunt for the kids, and then some swimming! Yes, it was plenty warm enough for swimming! I am so thankful we live so close and are able to celebrate the holidays with our families. Sunday morning we decided to take Hannah to church with the family, I was a little nervous, but hopeful. She did great! She fell asleep during the worship time and slept the entire time! Whew! The boys had a great time at Sunday school, they always do! Sunday afternoon our church hosted an egg hunt and potluck dinner, it was so fun! The kids had a great time hunting for eggs, playing with their friends, and even a little playtime with a real bunny! The boys loved that! I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again, I am so thankful the Lord has blessed us with an incredible church family!


Thank you Jesus for your sacrifice and your amazing love! I hope everyone had a good Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Mother's Prayer