Monday, July 6, 2015

Soccer!

Luke played his first season of soccer this spring...and he loved it!!!  He played with the YMCA, and was on a great little team.  His favorite was always the practices, he was very aggressive and worked hard every week.  The games were a bit more difficult for him, he was a little timid and easily distracted.  He did enjoy them though, and always wanted to win!
 
 
Here he is ready to head to his first game!



 
GO TEAM!


 
Pure Joy!

 
This spring was very rainy in north Texas, so we had many cancelled and rescheduled games.  The season came to an end and we still had a few games to make up, but the fields were too wet, so they decided to move them to inside the gym at the Y.  This seemed like a great idea!  Luke really enjoyed playing indoor, I think the smaller area and less people made it easier for him to focus.  He was more aggressive and more serious when playing indoor.

 
That's him in the green kicking it in.

 
Unfortunately, during his second indoor game he took quite a fall.  He was running full speed, going for a goal, when he got tripped up and fell.  He fell right onto his head, hitting his left temple on the floor very hard.  I immediately scooped him up thinking he was okay, just shaken up, but it was more than that.  He did the cry when he isn't breathing or making noise, so I blew into his face trying to get him to breathe.  He did not, and then he just passed out, went completely limp, in my arms.  It was terrifying!  A dad had just asked me if he was okay, I said yes, but then when he passed out, I yelled, "He's not okay!"  Everyone came running over, I laid him down and he opened his eyes again after just a few seconds.  His eyes rolled around a minute before he focused on me, then he was so scared.  Who wouldn't be, he was surrounded by people, everyone asking him questions and checking on him.  One thing that I remember was his coach asking his name, he answered correctly, in the quietest voice.  Then he asked what school he goes to, Luke just stared blankly at him.  I said, "Oh he might not know that, but he knows this...what school will you go to next year, Luke?"  He immediately responded with the correct answer.  After just a few minutes I heard the sirens outside and then the paramedics came rushing in.  There were 5 or 6 of them, I think, and they very calmly starting checking him, careful not to move him or do anything to him until they were sure he was okay.  Once they were certain he was okay to move they put us on the stretcher to take him to the ambulance. 
 I was there alone because Carl was out of town, and sadly, I had not been able to talk to Isaac or Hannah after the fall.  Hannah sat with me for a bit, but then had to leave when they moved us.  Isaac had come over, but the paramedics told him to leave, not knowing he was his brother.  I wish I would have thought to tell them he could stay, but I was just worried and not thinking straight.  Once in the ambulance they checked Luke's vitals, etc, and he really appeared to be okay.  Since I was alone and knew I would have to take care of him and anything that happened later all by myself, I decided to go ahead and take him to the hospital for a CT scan.  We were blessed with a great family on the soccer team, who took Isaac and Hannah home with them. They took great care of them and made it a good evening for them so they weren't too scared.


 
At the hospital we had to wait for a while, no surprise, but we had a bed and he was able to relax.  They checked his vitals again and then took him for a CT scan.  I had tried to prep him for that, explaining it was a big camera just taking pictures of his head.  The radiologist was incredible and explained it all again, and kept it very lighthearted.  Luke was smiling and giggling through the whole thing!  The scan came back clear and after more waiting for paperwork we were clear to go home.  Whew!  It was a scary experience, but thankfully it ended up okay, and Luke is fine. 
 


 
The next day we went for ice cream because let's face it, we all needed some ice cream after that event!
 
Overall it was a good season and he learned a lot!  He loved playing and is looking forward to another great season in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Mother's Prayer